You make the callBy: NATP Research
February 18, 2021

Question: Patrick, age 50, asked during his tax appointment if he could take a distribution from his IRA in 2021 and still receive the allowed COVID-19 relief provisions under the CARES Act. Will Patrick be subject to the early withdrawal penalty, better known as the 10% additional tax, under §72(t) if he receives the distribution in February 2021?

Answer: Yes, the 2021 IRA distribution to Patrick will be subject to the 10% additional tax (early withdrawal penalty) if no other exceptions apply. The CARES Act provides relief from the early withdrawal penalty for any coronavirus-related distribution of up to $100,000 made on or after Jan. 1, 2020, and before Dec. 31, 2020, to a qualified individual.

Bonus question: stimulus payments

Question: My client is 22 years old and graduated college in May 2020. His parents claimed him as a dependent for 2019 taxes, so he didn’t get a stimulus check in 2020. After graduating college, he became employed and provides more than 50% of his own support, so he is no longer a dependent on his parent’s return. Does this mean he will get a recovery rebate credit (RRC) for $1,200 and $600 on his 2020 tax return due to his change in dependency status?

Answer: Because he is not a dependent, the taxpayer will be eligible for the RRC of $1,200 and $600 when he files his 2020 individual tax return, providing he meets the income level requirements and has a Social Security number valid for employment. The RRC has the same requirements as the economic impact payment.

Estimated Tax
Federal Tax Research
Payment Processing
Tax Act
Tax Credit
Tax Law
Tax Professional
Tax Season
Read more
penAbout NATP Research

NATP Federal Tax Researchers

Our on-site team of tax professionals answers more than 20,000 questions each year on a variety of federal tax issues affecting your clients. Our tax researchers are CPAs and enrolled agents with broad tax knowledge and access to the most diverse research library in the industry.

For research help, contact us at 800-558-3402, ext. 2 or submit your question on our online form.

Additional Articles