The California Tax Education Council (CTEC) is a nonprofit corporation that registers California tax preparers who, for a fee, assist with or prepare state or federal income tax returns (excluding CPAs, EAs, attorneys and certain financial institutions).
This corporation applies only to California paid preparers, as do the updated requirements below.
New CTEC requirements for 2020 include background checks and fingerprinting images. This change affects NEW applicants to determine their eligibility to register as a Certified Registered Tax Preparer (CRTP), beginning on July 1, 2020.
Here’s what new applicants interested in registering with CTEC can expect:
- Applicant will complete an online application process at www.ctec.org, which includes:
- Providing personal and background information
- Creating a login account
- Completion of live scan fingerprinting process
- Completion of 60 hours of qualifying education
- CTEC-approved education providers will then report completed education to the council
- Last name and last six digits of the Social Security number must match records in the CTEC system for education to be reported
- CTEC will complete the background investigation
- Applicant will complete registration, including:
- Acquisition of a tax preparer surety bond
- Payment of registration fee
- CTEC ID is issued
Also, beginning July 1, 2020, if a CRTP allows their CTEC registration to expire and they would like to reregister, they will not only be required to retake the 60-hour qualifying education course but will also need to go through another background check and resubmit fingerprint images to CTEC.