You make the callBy: NATP Research
May 28, 2020

Question: Jerome and Gina filed Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, to renew their ITIN but have not filed their 2019 return yet. When filing their 2019 return, can they get the other dependent credit (ODC) for their child Garen, who has an SSN?

Answer: Yes, since the disallowance has to do with the issuance of a new ITIN. In this case Jerome and Gina have their ITINs and are just renewing them. Since they have been issued ITINs before the due date of the return, they are allowed to claim the ODC.

See Question 20 at https://www.irs.gov/individuals/itin-expiration-faqs.

Federal Tax Research
Read more
penAbout NATP Research

NATP Federal Tax Researchers

Our on-site team of tax professionals answers more than 20,000 questions each year on a variety of federal tax issues affecting your clients. Our tax researchers are CPAs and enrolled agents with broad tax knowledge and access to the most diverse research library in the industry.

For research help, contact us at 800-558-3402, ext. 2 or submit your question on our online form.

Additional Articles