You make the callBy: NATP Research
April 1, 2021

Question: CLS, Inc., a service corporation formed on May 1, 2021, hires you to do their accounting and tax work. In a meeting, you discover the company’s Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number (EIN), was approved with a fiscal year-end of April 30, 2022.

Chris, the sole shareholder of CLS, Inc., did not realize the year-end was approved this way. Can this be changed to a calendar year-end?

Answer: Chris need not worry about changing his tax year from a fiscal to calendar year-end. Under Reg. §1.441-1(c)(1), the adoption of a tax year is not made with Form SS-4. The new corporation will adopt its tax year by filing its first federal income tax return. The date used on that return will determine its year-end for all future filings, unless the entity has another required year under the tax code.

Estimated Tax
Federal Tax Research
Tax Credit
Tax Office
Tax Law
Tax Planning
Tax Preparation
Tax Professional
Tax Season
Read more
penAbout NATP Research

NATP Federal Tax Researchers

Our on-site team of tax professionals answers more than 20,000 questions each year on a variety of federal tax issues affecting your clients. Our tax researchers are CPAs and enrolled agents with broad tax knowledge and access to the most diverse research library in the industry.

For research help, contact us at 800-558-3402, ext. 2 or submit your question on our online form.

Additional Articles