You make the callBy: NATP Research
October 15, 2020

Question: Edgar runs a small technology company that uses the services of two foreign contractors. One lives in Guatemala and the other one lives in Costa Rica. They will be paid $5,500 and $8,500 respectively. Edgar needs to know if he has any obligation and compliance to issue them a Form 1099-NEC, Nonemployee Compensation?

Answer: No, Form 1099-NEC is not required to be issued to foreign contractors. First, the employer verifies the contractors are not U.S. citizens working outside the country. The foreign contractors will sign Form W-8BEN, Certificate of Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting (Individuals). By completing Part I and signing Form W-8BEN, the foreign contractors are certifying they are not U.S. persons. The foreign contractors do not need ITINs. Form 1099-NEC does not need to be filed [Reg.§1.6041-4(a)]. The Form W-8BEN is not filed with the IRS; however, the employer must keep it in the files in the event of an audit.

Federal Tax Research
Foreign Tax Credit
Social Security
Tax Credit
Tax Season
Read more
penAbout NATP Research

NATP Federal Tax Researchers

Our on-site team of tax professionals answers more than 20,000 questions each year on a variety of federal tax issues affecting your clients. Our tax researchers are CPAs and enrolled agents with broad tax knowledge and access to the most diverse research library in the industry.

For research help, contact us at 800-558-3402, ext. 2 or submit your question on our online form.

Additional Articles