You make the callBy: NATP Research
September 22, 2022

Question: Your client moved overseas and is asking you to prepare his tax return. The client is a U.S. citizen now living in France. Should you file a Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, or Form 1040-NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return?

Answer: You will file Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. Form 1040-NR is for individuals who are nonresident aliens. Form 1040 is for U.S. citizens or resident aliens regardless of whether they reside inside or outside the U.S.

Federal tax research
Tax education
Tax office
Tax preparation
Form 1040
Read more
penAbout NATP Research

NATP Federal Tax Researchers

Our on-site team of tax professionals answers more than 20,000 questions each year on a variety of federal tax issues affecting your clients. Several of our tax researchers are CPAs and enrolled agents with broad tax knowledge and access to the most diverse research library in the industry.

For research help, contact us at 800-558-3402, ext. 2 or submit your question on our online form.

Information included in this article is accurate as of the publish date. This post is not reflective of tax law changes or IRS guidance that may have occurred after the date of publishing. All taxpayer circumstances are different, and NATP recommends contacting research services if you have specific questions about your clients’ tax situations.

Additional Articles